27 July 2015

Fun Chatting Tour de France Science

As the Tour de France was coming to a close, I had the opportunity to chat with some media outlets about the modeling research I was doing in connection with the world's most famous bike race.  ResearchGate interviewed me and posted its story on Friday, 24 July.  Click here for that interview.  The Washington Post followed that up with a story the next day, which may be obtained here.  After the race ended on Sunday, 26 July, CNN International had me on live for a short post-race discussion about the Tour de France research I do.  That interview may be viewed here.

Media attention is flattering, but it's never the goal of the research.  Doing the science well is my goal.  There were a lot of things my student and I had right with this year's Tour de France.  There were also a few things we had wrong.  Investigating what needs improvement is what really makes the work fun because I gain a better understanding of the natural world.  The Tour de France is immensely complicated.  There are scientists and engineers across the globe who have made enormous strides in equipment design.  Athletic trainers have helped athletes push themselves to the very limits of what human beings can do on a bicycle.  All of us are constrained by the laws of physics.  Watching the best of the best push those constraints to their extremes is pure joy for me.  Kudos to the all the cyclists, trainers, scientists, and engineers who gave the world three weeks of awesome fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment