23 October 2011

All Blacks Win Rugby World Cup!

Following the 2011 Rugby World Cup has been challenging for me.  Besides the time difference between New Zealand and the east coast of the US, there is simply not much interest in rugby in my country.  The games are not readily available on standard television packages.  This is the first Rugby World Cup that I have followed, and I have thoroughly enjoyed it! Congratulations to the New Zealand All Blacks.  They won a tight match over the French Tricolores, 8-7.  This is New Zealand's second championship after having won the inaugural Rugby World Cup in 1987, also over France.


I will give one more shout out to my former editor, Trevor Lipscombe.  Reading his book, The Physics of Rugby, during this year's World Cup made for lots of fun (click here to get a copy).  I still have much to learn about rugby and its gloried history.  But, like everything else, rugby is constrained by the laws of physics.  Science gives me a good starting point for enjoying a sport I knew very little about just five years ago.  With any luck, I might be able to hop across the pond for a match or two in the 2015 World Cup in England.

No comments:

Post a Comment